Precipitation hardening in Gastonia, NC uses precipitates to strengthen metals. A process of solutionizing, quenching and aging is used for this hardening. What is the point of this heat treatment in Gastonia, NC? It offers several benefits:
- Strength: The precipitation process gives high strength to the metal that undergoes this treatment. A metal that would not be strong enough in its natural state can be fortified so that it may be used for more heavy-duty applications that require greater strength.
- Durability: When a metal undergoes precipitation hardening in Gastonia, NC, this process increases the metal’s durability. It becomes much more resistant to wear and tear.
- Machinability: Often, metals are machined to create various components and products. Once a metal undergoes precipitation hardening in Gastonia, NC, this process is easier. It facilitates machinability.
- Continuity: Metals can undergo this process without distortion. Thus, parts and components can be strengthened without distorting them.
- Versatility: Precipitation hardening in Gastonia, NC strengthens metals for use in a wide variety of applications. Metals can be hardened to the point that they can be relied upon to create parts for robust solutions, such as aircraft, engines and other heavy-duty machinery. Without heat treatment in Gastonia, NC, many parts would prove too weak for these applications.
Now that we’ve answered why we use precipitation hardening, let’s look at when we might use this specific heat treatment in Gastonia, NC. Following are some of the most common applications:
- Metal strengthening: Elements such as nickel, aluminum and titanium are often strengthened using precipitation hardening in Gastonia, NC. Stainless steel is also a common metal that undergoes this process.
- Component hardening: Engine parts, gears, valves and plungers are hardened by this process to make them strong and durable for various applications.
- Part strengthening: A wide variety of parts are strengthened through heat treatment in Gastonia, NC. These include turbine blades, bushings, balls, molding dies, nuclear waste cracks and fasteners.
- Treatment: Processing equipment and aircraft parts are often treated with this process to make them strong enough to withstand the stress of their heavy-duty applications.
Lastly, let’s cover who might use this heat treatment in Gastonia, NC. This process requires careful manipulation of metals, alloys, solutions and temperature. To properly harden the metal, a technician must understand the science behind the process and complete the steps with precision and care. This requires specific knowledge, equipment and experience to successfully complete precipitation hardening in Gastonia, NC. Only trained professionals should attempt this process.
Turn to the pros
For expert heat treatment in Gastonia, NC, consult the professionals at J.F. Heat Treating Inc. We are your go-to metal heat treating company, with four decades of experience. We specialize in the hardening and carbonizing of various steel products in a metallurgical lab. It is our privilege to service and work with the manufacturing and fabrication industries to give the best product service available. Reach our team today at 704-864-0998 for more information on precipitation hardening in Gastonia, NC or to get started on your next project.